Thunderbolt Advanced Scholar Academy
What is the Mica Mountain High School Thunderbolt Advanced Scholar Academy?
A program embedded within the Mica Mountain High School framework focused on providing our academically advanced and motivated students with opportunities to complete rigorous coursework, receive systemic support services, and benefit from individualized college readiness guidance. Upon graduation, successful TASA Scholars may be qualified for entrance to highly selective universities.
What are the qualifications to become a Thunderbolt Advanced Scholar?
TASA Scholars are selected based on the following criteria:
The student has no more than 2 middle school (7th & 8th) grades of B, all other grades should be A
A grade of B or better in Algebra and/or Geometry in middle school
The student must have grades of A in both 7th and 8th-grade math.
Enrolled in Honors English 8 (if offered at students’ school)
***Earned a grade of highly proficient (2600 or higher) on the AZ Merit ELA exam
(*** This requirement is suspended for incoming fall 2021 students)
2 Teacher Recommendations (Recommendations MUST be received by the deadline)
What are the benefits of being a Thunderbolt Advanced Scholar?
- Students in the Thunderbolt Advanced Scholar Academy will be assigned to the Mica Mountain TASA Counselor.
- Individualized assistance with all aspects of college and career planning throughout all four years at Mica Mountain High School.
- Personalized academic plan to facilitate readiness for highly selective colleges.
- Completion of high rigor coursework aimed to prepare students for highly selective college readiness.
- Purposeful parent meetings related to increasing student readiness and highly selective college competitiveness throughout the school year.
- Direct communication and individualized information in relation to highly selective college admissions, scholarship, and college entrance testing.
- Parents will receive newsletters regarding highly selective colleges and career exploration opportunities.